Prayer gives him the grace to change dirty diapers
“If you stop praying, your life is going to crumble,” shares Cody Fischer, a six-year FOCUS veteran. He noticed a big change in his life during the year he worked 100 feet from a chapel, and it wasn’t for the better. “It was harder to do my Holy Hour there than it has been throughout my six years with FOCUS,” he said. He encourages all alumni to keep grinding, finding ways to pray and live mission in their parishes and in whatever changing life situations they find themselves. Check out his advice in this video!
Cody Fischer served with FOCUS from 2015 to 2021 at West Virginia University, Ball State and Drake University. He now lives his best life as a stay-at-home dad, loving his two daughters and supporting his wife through her medical residency.
Join us for a free webinar for this spooky and saintly time of year
Missionary alumnus and Emmaus Institute scholar Josh Burks will share guiding principles from the wisdom of the Church
Whether your kids are dressed up as cheerleaders and ninja or in their Sunday best, the trifecta of Halloween, All Saints Day and All Souls Day can seem shrouded in confusion. What does the Church have to say about these secular and religious holidays? Is there a proper way to celebrate them? Join alumnus and scholar Josh Burks as he outlines the teachings of Scripture and Tradition and shares a call to pray and live liturgically in a new way.
Hey alumni! Want to get connected with your former campus?
The Alumni team is piloting a new initiative connecting alumni with the campus(es) they served. We want this generation of missionaries to know they are supported by the FOCUS family, and we thought you would love to hear about what’s going on at your old stomping grounds! Plus, we believe that by blessing a mission you were formerly a part of as a student or missionary, it will only inspire your current mission.
We’ve got a little inspiration below on how it might work, but we want to encourage you to use your specific talents, gifts or ideas.
If you live near a campus with a FOCUS team, consider these options:
- Dropping off a meal for the team
- Meeting a first-year missionary for coffee and a little mentorship
- Offering to host them for a movie night with their disciples (bonus fun if your kids are there too)
- Going to the student Mass one Sunday and introducing yourself
If you want to support a campus where you previously served, consider these ideas:
- Mailing them a quick card thanking them for their service
- Offering up your Holy Hour/family Rosary/doing the dishes for them
- Sending them a restaurant gift card for your favorite place in town
- Receiving and responding to their campus newsletter
Ready to get started? Hit the button below, fill out the form and one of team members will reach out to get you connected with your chosen campus. We’re honored to partner with you to bless our current missionary teams, and we hope this will encourage you in your own apostolate as well!
Petrus Roofing and Solar is looking for a sales specialist in the Houston area
Petrus Roofing is a fast-growing roofing company located in Houston, TX. Co-owned by a FOCUS alumnus, they’re looking to add a sales specialist to their family-friendly business. The company has been active in the Houston area for five years, most recently under the name of Petrus.
As a sales specialist, you’ll be in charge of managing existing customer portfolios, acquiring new clients and integrating the business into community life. You’ll learn the ins and outs of sales, how to work on commission, and enough about roofing and solar installation to make you an expert.
FOCUS Alumni is coming to a location near you!
Join FOCUS Alumni missionaries in your city this autumn. Details about these events will be sent directly to alumni living in the area. Moved recently? Email the event contact if you’re near one of the cities below. Otherwise fill out this contact form to stay updated about future events in your area.
- October 19: Adoration & Social, Houston, TX, [email protected]
- October 21: Alumni Gathering, Winona, MN, [email protected]
- October 21: Alumni Gathering, Omaha, NE, [email protected]
- October 21: Alumni Gathering, Boston, MA, [email protected]
- October 22: Mini Retreat, Washington DC, [email protected]
- October 22: Diocesan Event, Omaha, NE, [email protected]
- October 26: Alumni Hangout, Knoxville, TN, [email protected]
- October 28: Mini Retreat, New York, NY, [email protected]
- November 4: Mini Retreat, Kansas City, KS, [email protected]
- November 13: Alumni Gathering, Dallas, TX, [email protected]
- November 14: Alumni Happy Hour, Mobile, AL, [email protected]
- Ongoing (Tuesdays): Lifelong U Virtual Group, [email protected]
Pray for us and let us pray for you!
The FOCUS Alumni team wants to unite our FOCUS family in prayer for one another. Please submit any prayer requests you have . We pray for these intentions every Monday as a team. Save the link for future re-use!
Our team’s intention this month is for healing in all marriages, especially those most in need of mercy. We receive many requests from alumni asking for prayers for fertility, healing from wounds of divorce, unity between spouses, and safe pregnancies, among other requests. Please pray with us!
Our mission is to fan the flame of lifelong mission in the hearts of our alumni in this apostolic age.
The FOCUS Alumni Relations team exists to provide you, our alumni, with inspirational content in emails and social media. We desire to build alumni communities in various cities, connect alumni with job listings, and develop resources to support the living of Catholic mission in the world.
What does AL+UM mean?
AL+UM (Altum) comes from “Duc in Altum”, which means to“Set out into the deep.” This call, to set out into the deep, is the call of every person seeking after Christ. You are on a different mission now than when you were on campus, yet as you cast your nets, the Lord will certainly bless you with a great catch if you continue to trust in Him.